Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Critical Reflection: Connotation, Attributes, Placement

Connotation:
           Throughout this blog I feel that the visual style has been a consistent theme of finished products that have a similar flow of work because it has been all done by myself but each exercise has required different skills so some of the components may not all flow together. Many skills were combined as we continued through the semester and we are more experienced with tools like Photoshop and Power point. The thematic goal of this blog is to showcase my work but the work being presented is also in many cases the first time I have experimented with certain elements so while I am pleased with  my work it is also a beginners work. The theme is neither too specific or too broad because many elements were used like font, emotion, color echo, colors, etc. and while they are all in the same category of media they are all different. Some of my work could be slightly adjusted with proportions or quality-of-finish but I am happy with my color and font choices. It would be helpful to show the compositional element to my classmates to get constructive criticism or acceptance.

Attributes:
       Overall, I am satisfied with the components of style in my blog entries. With any work made a person could look back and critique their finished product but I have reviewed all of my activities and am pleased with them.  Most of my works have backdrops that I am happy with especially the color echo and emotional design exercises. The theme of the color echo was colorful lips and I matched the backdrop with the same colors in vertical lines that I think looks really good. For the emotional design exercise my partner and I put a carpet texture in the backdrop of the paper shredder to make it look more realistic and I am very pleased with it. Most of the other ones are existing pictures with backdrops that I edited but they all follow the theme I wanted it to. Color is one of the main elements I focus on the most when completing the exercises given to us. I am very pleased with the color components I have chosen for each activity. Each color scheme of each element fits well with the scheme of the larger layout in my blog. Every activity is put into its own post to separate the different skills used but when scrolling through them there is a clear theme of consistent work. For every activity I feel comfortable presenting it to the class or to the teacher and if displayed on a computer screen or projector each activity would be large enough to see. Within each activity I chose different fonts to match the theme of the exercise but within my blog I have used the same font in each post to describe what I completed. I like using the same font to show consistency but maybe in future activities I could focus on using a different font that would appeal to a larger audience.

Placement:
    Placement is definitely a major component that was considered in each layout of my posts. It should call attention even if it is subtle because it should be visually appealing to everyone who looks at the activities. For each post I always position the product on the top center of the page and if there is an original copy I post that first and then directly below I put the finished product. This shows the reader what I started with or what I made from scratch first and then they can scroll down and read about what skills and tools I used to make the product and how I feel about it. I keep my images in the center and then begin to type flush left which is how the eye flows when looking at stimuli. Grouping the images and text together is important but also spacing it out so the reader doesn't feel overwhelmed is important so I always leave some space in between the images and text so that there is a clear separation. For some of my images I either have to enlarge the product like with the font activity, or i have to size it smaller so it doesn't overtake the entire post like the echo color activity. 

This blog has not only helped me organize the exercises we do in class but it showing me the improvements I have made since the beginning of the semester and I could potentially use it as a resource to showcase my work to a future client. 
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment